In l957, Pininfarina made an experimental model, a 250GT Cabriolet from Ferrari's masterpiece 250GT chassis. This car was so well received by Ferrari that Pininfarina was awarded a contract to make the 250GT Cabriolet into a production car in 1959. 200 cars were made over the next 3 years. This car became Ferrari's standard model following the 250GT PF Coupe of the previous year. This car was called the 250GT Cabriolet Series II to distinguish it from the 1957 250GT. The Cabriolet wasn't as dynamic as the 250GT Europe or the first 250GT but it was strikingly simple and elegant. Compared to Carrozzeria Scaglietti-designed bodies of the same period, the interior and exterior of Pininfarina's designs had greater detail. The collaboration between Ferrari and Pininfarina started in 1952 after Ferrari awarded its first mass-production contract to Pininfarina. This solid partnership has endured to this day.